graphic by Robin Hoyt
Street harassment is a serious and multi-faceted social problem that makes women and people of other marginalized groups unsafe in public spaces. HollaBackBoston does not define street harassment but believes harmful power dynamics in society lie at the core of our inequality. We believe that building a safe world demands diverse international fronts of resistance. Dedicated to the city of Boston, we continue to reclaim public space by empowering everyone to “HOLLA BACK” at street harassers.
You can holla back in the moment in a way that is fast and easy. Use your phonecams or digital cameras to DOCUMENT STREET HARASSERS. Add firstname.lastname@example.org directly to your cellphone. Email us the pics with your story. We accept submissions from anywhere!
All Holla Backs are independent collectives, in support of the same international mission; they are in no way affiliated with one another unless otherwise noted.
Foreplay for Holla Back Project: Suspected Subway Pleasurer Arrested
If you want to get involved or are a supportive group affiliated with ending street harassment, please contact us: email@example.com
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- NoDerivs 2.5 License.
Listen to everything sleazy this motherfucker did the other night at a Beacon Hill pub in the restaurant section:
- Announced loud enough for the entire pub to hear and to the women he was talking with that when they spoke, everything sounded to him like they were just saying, "naked, naked, naked, anal sex, anal sex"
- Made grabby tiger hands at our server's ass whenever she turned her back to him
- Made pretty much everyone else in the restaurant noticeably uncomfortable (as in, appalled and annoyed expressions and shaking of heads, all around) by yelling for the hell of it during his entire stay
- High-fived his buddy when the other guy reached up a girl's shirt and put his hand in between her legs multiple times whenever she was trying to get by him to go outside and smoke.
- Laughed in their faces when the girl's friends told him to "stop it."
- When we, a group of women at the next table, finally confronted him and asked him to please show a little respect, he immediately insulted us and told us we must hate all men.
I don't care if you were drunk, you stupid asshole. We were just trying to have a meal. Quit hiding your wedding ring under the table, harassing the staff, making other customers unbearably uncomfortable in a public space, and bullshitting to us about the server you were trying to molest: "She's my sister!" We asked the server: she's NOT your sister. And who treats his sister like that anyway? You're a sad insult to other men. Get a fucking clue - spare the public and the pub's business from your disorderly conduct, sexual harassment, and disruption of the peace. Lucky for us, we choose more wisely than your unfortunate drinking companions.
Help HollaBackBoston.com keep up with our event and administrative costs